Pages

Monday 16 October 2017

Edinburgh (Not Quite) Adventures

So, the nature of my ('proper', full-time, non-blogging) job means that I am required to be wherever my clients are. For the majority of my career, I've been lucky enough to be based in London, beavering away happily in the city and not in some god-forsaken wasteland in the middle of nowhere (or on an oil rig in the north sea, as one unfortunate colleague ended up at). However, recently I was asked to leave the cozy south and travel up to Edinburgh for part of my working week.




Now, initially I was pretty grumpy about this. In terms of traveling, Edinburgh was just about as far as you can be reasonably be expected to travel on a weekly basis. AND, it's COLD. To add insult to injury, in order to get there at a reasonable time to do any form of work on a Monday, I am rudely forced out of bed at 5am. I'm telling you now, 5am is a time of night I will never be happy to see.




However, as you may have notice from my Instagram, Edinburgh is undeniably a beautiful city. Full of wide, sweeping streets, beautiful old building and more spires than you can shake a stick at, it cuts quite the impression. The city is watched over by the imposing castle, located on a hill in the city center. Walking through the streets in the evening, I love looking at the lit up monuments (which seem to be everywhere) and listening to the haunting notes of a busker's bagpipes playing the Skye Boat Song* (a tune which has taken on a whole new life in my head ever since having become obsessed with Outlander...). Yes, I'm a cliché in a bucket, but I don't care. 





The problem with working up in Edinburgh is that I don't have the luxury of daytime hours to explore the city, so now I'm going to turn to you dear readers. Please, let me know your recommendations of things to do in Edinburgh outside of 'usual' hours. Where should I visit and what should I see to get a real feel of the city? What things shouldn't be missed? And, perhaps most importantly, where should I eat? 




So, help a travelling Londoner in need  and send your recommendations this way! 




*Controversially, I also love the tram....

3 comments:

  1. Yes a) you're back and b) Edinburgh is the best. If you want a fancy AF place to go then the Witchery by the Castle is the best; the lunch menu is affordable with drinks but if you want to really go all out then stay over there or have dinner. There's also an amazing white russian bar that serves every kind of white russian you can imagine...of course, only if you like them haha; It's my favourite cocktail so I'm all over it. For nice cocktails go to Tiger Lily and for a good halloween-y type place if that's your thing then there was a pop up walking dead bar earlier in the year that might still be there. I love the Worlds End pub because it's just such a nice classic pub but it is really busy so choose your time wisely; alternatively just dip into one of the pubs on Rose street - they're all lovely. Have fun! I go to Edinburgh a lot and it is just one of my favourite places. Haha I don't think liking the tram is controversial now it's here...I think it was just the years of roadworks that pissed everyone off haha. If you have time go to Hendersons, it's a casual vegetarian restaurant that carnivores and omnivores love too and it is ALWAYS fully packed so go early.

    www.jettravels.co.uk

    Jet

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww a) Thanks for that - nice to know the blog's been missed :) :)

      b) OMG thank you - this is quite the list of recommendations! I'm never going to say no to fancy food or white Russians so these places sound great. Tiger Lily sounds awesome too.
      How come you go to Edinburgh so much? Are you from near by? Honestly, thanks so much for all of these - I will start working my way through the list!

      KJx

      Delete
    2. I used to read this for years before I started my own blog so I'm glad your back to it regularly again and yes I have family there so I go a lot. Edinburgh is a lovely place and the Scottish accent is so nice,


      X

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...